Why Police oversight matters
Independent civilian oversight provides assurance for both the Police and members of the public.
The Police are one of the few state agencies with intrusive powers.
- protects citizens against abuse of those powers, including excessive force
- exposes misconduct
- improves Police practice and policy
- provides public accountability
- encourages discipline within the Police
- protects against corruption, enhancing business confidence
- protects against politicisation of the Police, and
- enhances public trust and confidence in the justice system.
Independent oversight matters to a community even in a country such as New Zealand where the Police are committed to high standards of conduct. It provides independent assurance that questions of misconduct and neglect of duty are properly dealt with.