PCA NZ Crown

PH 0800 503 728
PH (04) 499 2050
FAX (04) 499 2053



Make a Complaint

The form below is to guide you in making a complaint. Please keep a copy of your completed form for your records.

If you wish to complete the complaint form online:

  1. Follow this link to go to the online complaint form
  2. Complete the form
  3. Press the send button to submit the form to the Independent Police Conduct Authority.

If you wish to handwrite the complaint form:

  1. Press CTRL and P (or the APPLE key and P if you are on an Apple Mac) to print off the form below (5 pages)
  2. Complete the form
  3. Post to:
    Independent Police Conduct Authority
    PO Box 5025

If you wish to type into the complaint form:

  1. Click here to download the form as a Microsoft Word Document
  2. Complete the form in your word editor
  3. Either;
    a) Email the form to enquiries@ipca.govt.nz, or
    b) Print and post the form to
    Independent Police Conduct Authority
    PO Box 5025

P O Box 5025
Level 10, Baldwins Centre
342 Lambton Quay
Tel: (04) 499 2050
Toll-free: (24 hours)
0800 503 728
Fax: (04) 499 2053
Person(s) making complaint (Complainant)
NAME: First Names Last Name

No. and Street

Home Phone number
Work Phone number
Mobile Phone number Fax number


Please give as precise and accurate details of the time and place of the incident as you can
When did it happen
Where did it happen:
Describe what happened and the conduct of any Police officers you wish to complain about. Add extra pages if necessary.
If other persons are involved refer to paragraph headed "Other persons involved"
Where possible provide the name and description of Police Officers involved - refer to paragraph headed "Police Officers involved"

THE INDEPENDENT POLICE CONDUCT AUTHORITY is a statutory civilian oversight body created to:


Any person may make a complaint to the Authority or make a complaint on behalf of another person, if that person wishes to complain. You may also complain directly to the Police, the Ombudsmen or the Registrar of any District Court.
If you need help in writing a complaint or you wish to talk about it, the staff of the Authority are willing to help you. A prisoner or person in Police custody must be provided with the facilities to write a complaint and seal it in an envelope. The sealed envelope must be sent unopened to the Authority without delay.
The Authority may decide not to have a complaint investigated where it considers that the complaint is trivial or vexatious; is made more than 12 months after the conduct complained about; or where there are legal processes pending or still outstanding in relation to the matter complained about or where that matter has been resolved in court.


The Police Complaints Authority Act requires the Authority and its staff to maintain secrecy in respect of matters relating to complaints.The Authority is required by law to notify the Police of complaints, and the Police are required to notify the Authority of complaints received by them.


Investigations are usually carried out by experienced Police officers appointed by a District Commander. In most cases the investigator will want to speak to you about your complaint. In cases where the Authority elects to conduct an investigation you will be interviewed by Authority staff.

Investigations are carried out in strict confidence and there is no charge for an investigation.

The Authority monitors the conduct of all investigations and you may ring the Authority to discuss your complaint or check progress at any time.


The Authority examines all investigation reports to ensure that a thorough investigation has been made and to consider whether any action should be taken against a Police officer. Recommendations to this effect will be sent to the Commissioner of Police.


Where possible, an informal process of conciliation will be adopted to try to resolve a complaint.


It is an offence to knowingly make a false statement.


Person making complaint (Complainant):

This section must show the full name of the person who is making the complaint, the address to which letters from the
Independent Police Conduct Authority can be sent, and a telephone number if you have one.

A complaint can be made on behalf of an organisation or a company. The name of the person authorised to speak for that organisation or company should be given.

Special instructions for contact:

If you do not wish to be contacted at your home or work addresses, or if you cannot be contacted at certain times, give details of the best way to get in touch with you.

The conduct complained of:

Very often the effective investigation of a complaint depends on an accurate account of when and where the conduct complained about happened.

When describing the time of an incident, be sure to state whether it was in the morning (am) or the afternoon (pm).

Where you cannot provide a specific address or location make reference to the nearest street intersection or some other specific feature which might include a shop or bridge which can help to locate an incident.

If complaining on behalf of other persons:

A complaint can be made about something that happened to someone else provided that person wishes to complain.

Other persons involved:

Please provide their names and contact details.

Police Officers involved:

Complete these details (if known) where you are complaining about the conduct of specific officers.

These details may include the male or female officers height, build or approximate weight, skin colouring, hair colouring, facial hair or whether wearing glasses or not. If the officer was in uniform, did you notice the collar number?

The complaint:

Write a brief summary of what happened and what it was about the Police conduct or policy or procedure that you did not like. There is no need to repeat the date or location of the incident in this section.

The sort of information needed will vary from complaint to complaint. For example a complaint about an incident on the road or involving motor vehicles, should include descriptions of those vehicles and registration numbers where possible. A complaint about something which was said should include an accurate account of the actual words used.


About the IPCA


Public Reports


Make a Complaint

Other Reports


MoST Content Management V3.0.6892